- 1 How to Turn Off and Disable Reopen Last Browsing Session in IE8
- 2 How to disable the warning "Do you want to view only the webpage content that was delivered securely?"
- 3 How to clear the Internet Explorer cache from the command line
- 4 How to disable IE Enhanced Security in Windows
- 5 How to turn off Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration in Windows Server 2008?
- 6 How to turn off Enhanced Protected Mode (EPM) in IE10 and above
- 7 How to get rid of "A program on your computer has corrupted IE8 default search provider settings."...
- 8 How to disable the warning "This website is using a scripted window to ask you for information..."
- 9 How to uninstall Internet Explorer Add-Ons?
- 10 How to enable the automatic prompting for downloads (avoid notification bar)?
- 11 How to remove credentials from the Windows Credentials Manager
- 12 See Also
How to Turn Off and Disable Reopen Last Browsing Session in IE8
Method 1: Using Group Policy Editor
- Run Local Group Policy Editor (Type GPEdit.msc in Start Search or Run command box, only availbe in Windows "PRO" versions).
- Navigate to the following tree branch: User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Internet Explorer
- In the right “Local Computer Policy” pane, locate "Turn off Reopen Last Browsing Session setting", set to "enabled".
Method 2: Using the Registry Editor
- Run Registry Editor (Type RegEdit.exe in Start Search or Run command).
- Navigate to the following registry key branch: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Recovery
- Note: If the registry key (i.e. Internet Explorer and/or Recovery) does not exist, create one manually by right clicking on parent branch, and choose New -> Key, and then name the key according.
- In the right pane, create a new DWORD value by right clicking on blank space and choose New -> DWORD (32-bit) Value, and then name it as NoReopenLastSession.
- Double-click on NoReopenLastSession and set its value data to 1.
- Exit Registry Editor.
- Restart IE for the change to take effect.
Method 3: IE Advanced Settings Dialog
Clear the Enable automatic crash recovery check box in Tools > Internet Options > Advanced > Browsing
How to disable the warning "Do you want to view only the webpage content that was delivered securely?"
You can disable this warning by:
- Going to Tools->Internet Options->Security
- Select the ‘Security’ tab
- Click the ‘Custom Level’ button
- In the ‘Miscellaneous’ section change “Display mixed content” to Enable
How to clear the Internet Explorer cache from the command line
Normally, you have to open IE and choose Tools | Delete Browsing History | Delete All but you can also open a command line and type the following commands:
RunDll32.exe InetCpl.cpl,ClearMyTracksByProcess 255 (Deletes ALL History)
or delete only some parts:
RunDll32.exe InetCpl.cpl,ClearMyTracksByProcess 1 (Deletes History Only) RunDll32.exe InetCpl.cpl,ClearMyTracksByProcess 2 (Deletes Cookies Only) RunDll32.exe InetCpl.cpl,ClearMyTracksByProcess 8 (Deletes Temporary Internet Files Only) RunDll32.exe InetCpl.cpl,ClearMyTracksByProcess 16 (Deletes Form Data Only) RunDll32.exe InetCpl.cpl,ClearMyTracksByProcess 32 (Deletes Password History Only)
How to disable IE Enhanced Security in Windows
With the IE Enhanced Security feature on, you have to mark every website you visit as trusted first.
- On the Start menu, point to Settings and click Control Panel.
- Double-click Add or Remove Programs.
- Click Add/Remove Windows Components.
- In the Windows Components Wizard, de-select Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration and then click Next.
It is much easier to do on Win 2008:
- Start "Server Manager"
- Under the Security Information section, click on the Configure IE ESC link
- Change it to "off" (You can do it separately for administrator and standard user accounts).
How to turn off Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration in Windows Server 2008?
Unlike with previous versions of Windows Server--in which you could disable Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration by removing the component in Add/Remove Programs, Windows Components--the Windows Server 2008 implementation of Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration is configured through Server Manager.
Select the root of the Service Manager navigation pane, and under the Server Summary click Configure IE ESC, which is part of the Security Information section. A dialog box appears, letting Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration be enabled/disable separately for normal users and administrators.
How to turn off Enhanced Protected Mode (EPM) in IE10 and above
- Go to Tools -> Internet Options -> Advanced
- Scroll down to Security
- Uncheck the option "Enable Enhanced Protected Mode"
- Restart IE
How to get rid of "A program on your computer has corrupted IE8 default search provider settings."...
As affected user do the following:
- Close IE
- Open registry editor (regedit)
- Navigate to "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders"
- Check whether value "AppData" is present. If not, create (as expandable string)
- Check whether "AppData" is set to "%USERPROFILE%\Application Data" (including the backslash!). If it is not, change it to this string.
- Exit registry editor
- Restart IE to make sure the message has gone.
How to disable the warning "This website is using a scripted window to ask you for information..."
Please see this forum post on Using the PROMPT command with IE
How to uninstall Internet Explorer Add-Ons?
Only three steps are required to remove an unwanted IE addon:
- Click on the "Tools" button at the top of your Internet Explorer page.
- Click on "Manage Add Ons" from the drop-down menu that appears. A list detailing the add-ons connected to your Internet Explorer will load.
- Click on the add-on you wish to delete to highlight it. Click on "Remove" to delete it.
How to enable the automatic prompting for downloads (avoid notification bar)?
To enable the automatic prompting for downloads (like it was in IE6 and IE7) select the security tab, go to "Automatic prompting for file downloads" and check enable.
Note: For IE9/IE10 users, one has to change a setting not to prompt to open attached/downloaded zip files (other file types may also apply). One has to first download by hand such a file, then open the downloads view (Ctrl+J), right-click on the zip file to retrieve its context menu and disable "Always ask before opening this type of file"
How to remove credentials from the Windows Credentials Manager
In order for the ONLOGIN command to work on Windows 7, iMacros needs to be able to fill in both the username and password fields. However, if you previously selected "Remember my credentials" when logging into a site, then the username is no longer an editable field on the login dialog.
To automate the login dialog, you first need to remove any saved credentials for the site using the following steps:
- In the Windows Control Panel, select User Accounts then click the "Manage your credentials" link in the left panel to open the Credential Manager.
- Locate and expand the entry for the desired site under Windows Credentials.
- Click the "Remove from vault" link to remove the credentials.